Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 8, 2011

Match Opportunity #3!

Scott called me at school, on my cell phone, to see if I had checked our home email lately. He can only see the first few lines of a message, and who it is from.  His work email blocks the rest of it. There was a message from our newest adoption agency.  I didn't have access to my computer in my room, but the one in the library works.  So, I walked ran down the hall to log in and see what the message was about.  One of the social workers was going to meet with the birthmom this afternoon to share profiles and she needed to know if we were interested.  I opened the attachment with all the birthmother info and it had many of the qualities we were looking for.  This was a special case though.  It is not a newborn, but a 13 month old little girl.  Her mother is a baby herself, at age 13.  They are both in foster care with an aunt and uncle.  The birthmother has been thinking of adoption since February/March.  The good thing is the aunt and uncle are supportive in her decision.  After calling Scott back and discussing this case a little more, and calling the agency back 2-3 more times with questions, we decided that we wanted the social worker to share our profile.  Now, this is still very early in the process and I am not getting my hopes up.  Many adoptive couples who have gone through this, have told us to be kind of guarded, when a match opportunity comes up like this.  The birthmother holds all the cards and can change her mind in a heartbeat.  What will most likely happen after browsing 8-10 profiles, the birthmom will narrow it down to 2 or 3.  If we make the final cut, we will meet with her and her aunt and uncle because of her age.  Then, a second meeting would take place with the little girl along with the birthmom and her family.  At that time, the agency would present the birthmother with the legal form for her to sign the permanent surrender.  She would then only have 72 hours in which she can revoke that decision.  Once 72 hours pass, then she can not change her mind.  SOOOOOOOo..... lots of things are running through my mind of course! (baby gates, crib and nursery decor) I'm excited, but in a cautious way.  I always thought we'd be getting a newborn, but a 13 month old is really awesome as I think about it! Wow!  The baby is healthy and got a good report at her last doctor visit ,recently in July.  She is on target in all areas, cognitively and physically.  That is a huge plus!  She is starting to walk a little.  There are other little tidbits of information we have too, but since this is all so new, I'd rather just wait and see what happens next.  The bottom line is, if this is God's plan, then it will all work out.  I'm not going to worry or waste time thinking, this child is the one, until more pieces of the puzzle start coming together.  I am just thrilled this is our 3rd potential match within just a couple weeks with this new agency!  That to me, is the amazing part!  For now though, we just pray the birthmom chooses the adoptive couple, who she feels would be best for her little girl.  If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.  Good thing I started setting up my classroom because this could potentially all happen before school starts!  Oh my gosh!  I'm just going to stay busy and try not to think about it. (too much!)


2 comments:

  1. Awesome news! Will be praying for you & Scott, the precious little girl and her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! This can only be seen as another step closer to bringing YOUR baby home! Keep me updated! Love you!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete